Main menu

Forum

× Help Forum English

[SOLVED: 3.7.2] How can I select the google map type?

• RichardEb
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #15708 by RichardEb
Hello

On June the 11th google maps will change it's pricing. So most of the google maps APIs are pay per view afterwards.

Only the "google maps embedded" will be free and only if you use the 'maps/embed/v1/place' interface. ('maps/embed/v1/search' is also pay per view)

How can I make sure that ICagenda uses the free api?

Thx
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Lyr!C. Reason: [SOLVED]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #15713 by Lyr!C
Replied by Lyr!C on topic How can I select the google map type?
Hello,

iCagenda is using the free Maps JavaScript API developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/

Pricing & Plans: developers.google.com/maps/pricing-and-plans/#details

The "embed" free and unlimited one, is when you copy/paste Embed code provided by Google inside your site content (Event description for example).

The limitation is the same as the Google Maps changes processed in June 2016, when API Key became required.

But with again those new changes from Google, i think now more to use another system, in open-source and with no third-party registration required.
So, maybe a switch, or an alternative (to allow user to use Google Maps or the open-source map (i think about using a script library based on OpenStreetMap).

For now, i'm focused on GDPR things (for iCagenda, but other old client sites too...) so i will check the future for map in iCagenda after my Holidays (i will be away from 15 to 25 June for my first real Holidays since 3 years!) ;-)

Even if changes in place for Google Maps on 11th June, there will be a transitional period.
Google promises existing code will continue to work without any change.

In all cases, i will check what happen on 11th June, with my api key and NO billing account (i recommend not to give your billing account information to Google if not needed).

All i can say is that it is a bit confused on Google Site, and difficult to know the impact it will have.

The bad from Google is to put this online only 1 month before... mapsplatform.googleblog.com/2018/05/intr...e-maps-platform.html
... short time to get all the details on... :-(

But as mentioned by Google on announcement page above :
"We’re simplifying our 18 individual APIs into three core products—Maps, Routes and Places, to make it easier for you to find, explore and add new features to your apps and sites. And, these new updates will work with your existing code—no changes required."

All may depend on the trafic on your site...

Regards,
Cyril

Latest version : iCagenda 3.9.3
We recommend every user to keep iCagenda updated.
Don't forget to have your Joomla!™ up-to-date!

Do you like iCagenda?
I would appreciate if you could take 5 minutes to post a review on JED (Joomla Extensions Directory) .

File Attachment:

Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Lyr!C.

• RichardEb
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #15717 by RichardEb
Replied by RichardEb on topic How can I select the google map type?
As I understand the only completely free api will be google maps embed.

Quote: "Yes. In addition to the $200 monthly free credit, all users get:

Free Maps usage for iOS, Android, and Embed (for displaying maps only)" (cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/)

All other apis will be pay per use (with 200dollar a month free)

I can't find the link again but another source says that only the api endpoint maps/embed/v1/place will be free in the future

• RichardEb
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #15718 by RichardEb
Found the source: "Embed with Dynamic Maps or a map with a marker, will continue to be free with unlimited usage. Embed API requests using Directions mode, Street View mode, or Search mode will now be billed. See the pricing table and the guide to understanding billing for details."
cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guide/pricing-changes/

I think this referes to the endpoint " maps/embed/v1/place " ( developers.google.com/maps/documentation...ide?hl=de#kartenmodi ) as the only free api.

Maybe you can add this maps type to icagenda. This would be great for smaler website or Websites that arent commercial
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by RichardEb.

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
5 years 10 months ago #15719 by Lyr!C
You're right...
After reading dozen of Google Maps site pages, i have to say it's becoming a bad news for using Google Maps javascript API...

The fact Google is forcing user to set a billing account even if they will never reach the quotas is an incredible poor change!

Well, the problem is that the Google Maps address autocomplete (to set map in event edition and frontend submission) will not work anymore without a billing account, as it is part of javascript api, and not embed script...

Unfortunately, i don't find anywhere that existing site using javascript api without billing account before 11 June 2018 will still work...

I'm seeing to add for next release the "embed" alternative, but this will be limited in comparison to the javascript api possibilities.
So, as i don't want users to be "forced" to enter billing account at Google platform, the only solution is to include the embed system.

Keep an eye on 3.7.2, i'm working on it!

Best regards,
Cyril

Do you like iCagenda?
I would appreciate if you could take 5 minutes to post a review on JED (Joomla Extensions Directory) .

File Attachment:

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
5 years 10 months ago #15720 by Lyr!C
Found this on cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guid...icing-changes/?hl=en :

Is a credit card or billing account required?

If you choose not to add a billing account, there is a risk that if your usage exceeds $200 in a given month, your Maps API implementation will be degraded or other API requests will return an error.

But for how long?...

Do you like iCagenda?

File Attachment:

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
5 years 10 months ago #15721 by Lyr!C
And this :

We’ve moved the effective date of our new pricing, and the $200 free monthly credit, to July 16th. We’re launching the new Maps, Routes and Places functionality on June 11th. To provide you with an additional month of lead time, our new terms and pricing won’t go into effect until July 16th. Please take advantage of this time to try the new features and familiarize yourself with how billing will work.

developers.google.com/maps/billing/important-updates

Do you like iCagenda?

File Attachment:

• RichardEb
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #15722 by RichardEb

Lyr!C wrote: You're right...
After reading dozen of Google Maps site pages, i have to say it's becoming a bad news for using Google Maps javascript API...

The fact Google is forcing user to set a billing account even if they will never reach the quotas is an incredible poor change!

Well, the problem is that the Google Maps address autocomplete (to set map in event edition and frontend submission) will not work anymore without a billing account, as it is part of javascript api, and not embed script...

Unfortunately, i don't find anywhere that existing site using javascript api without billing account before 11 June 2018 will still work...

I'm seeing to add for next release the "embed" alternative, but this will be limited in comparison to the javascript api possibilities.
So, as i don't want users to be "forced" to enter billing account at Google platform, the only solution is to include the embed system.

Keep an eye on 3.7.2, i'm working on it!

Best regards,
Cyril

Thank You very much. That's perfect! Embed Api completely fits my (personal) needs.

I was afraid that I have to disable the map function. But this will solve my problems.

Please make sure that you use the correct api endpoint

• Lyr!C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lead Developer
More
5 years 10 months ago #15723 by Lyr!C
Hello,

Attached a version with changes for Google Maps, where now you will be able to select the Maps Service.
On update, it will keep as before the Google Maps Javascript API service.
But now, in global options, you can select the Maps Service (other one opensource to come in future ;-) ) and select the Google Maps Embed API service (with link to create the API Key for Embed API)

If you could test this dev version ? (changes applied in global options, event edition (admin), event details view and the frontend Submit an Event form)
And confirm that all is ok ? (it would help for a release of 3.7.2 before 11th June, and note that the new billing system will be enforced on 18th July)

Thank you!

Best regards,
Cyril

File Attachment:

File Name: iCagenda_3...dev1.zip
File Size:1,708 KB

Do you like iCagenda?

File Attachment:

Attachments:

• RichardEb
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #15724 by RichardEb
Works for me in generall. Very great job! Thx

I found two minor bugs in the url itself. The url looks like this:
src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed/v1/place?key=xxx
								&q=Paulsborner Straße 1, Berlin"

As you can see the url encoding of the 'q' parameter is not done correctly. Also the "#10;								" part is a bit strange. Maybe you can fix this two things...But it works anyway!

Moderators: Lyr!C
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Follow Us

Create your Joomla templates with Template Creator CK

acymailing logo new